2021 Overcoming Obstacles Scholarship
Congratulations to our 2020 scholarship recipient, Ashley Cao!
2020 was an interesting and particularly challenging year for many people across the globe. From the australian bush fires to political unrest, there was no shortage of issues to try and adapt to. Arguably one of the largest issues that still plague us today is the Coronavirus pandemic. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their lives, and countless others have lost their ability to provide for themselves. With vaccines now available, our country and the rest of the world is trying to adapt to our new normal and figure out the best way to move forward with the lessons we’ve learned.
One group that was uniquely impacted by this pandemic is current and upcoming college students. Our team at Whitley Law Firm understands how tough COVID-19 has been on many students. Whether you were forced to take classes online that resulted in a more challenging educational experience, or if you found yourself unable to pay for classes because you lost your job, we know many of you have had to overcome new obstacles in order to keep pursuing your goals.
To do our part in helping the next generation continue their education, we are offering the 2021 Overcoming Obstacles Scholarship. This $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to one student who best expresses how they were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and how they are adapting to continue pursuing their goals. Our goal with this scholarship topic is to get students to reflect on the challenges they were able to overcome in the previous year which we hope will aid in guiding students for years to come.
The winner of this scholarship will be chosen based on the criteria outlined below and will be awarded $1,000 to help them with the cost of their education.
- Currently enrolled or about to attend an accredited community college, undergraduate, or graduate program within the United States.
- Academic achievement as reflected by a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- A 1,000-word essay response to the following prompt: How were you impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and how did you adjust in order to pursue your goals?
- A resumé including academic and professional experience, as well as up-to-date contact information.
- An official or unofficial transcript from your current school. High school seniors and transfer students must also submit proof of acceptance to their college or university.
The recipient of the 2021 Overcoming Obstacles Scholarship will be chosen during October 2021 following the scholarship deadline.
Application Deadline and Instructions:
To be eligible for this scholarship, candidates must email their full application (including the essay, resumé, and transcript) to [email protected] by October 31st, 2021. Any applications sent after this date will not be considered.
Scholarship applications should be sent with the subject line “[Applicant’s First and Last Name] – 2021 Overcoming Obstacles Scholarship Application”. An example would be “John Smith – 2021 Overcoming Obstacles Scholarship”.