COVID-19: Your safety is our priority. Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, we are doing our part to keep our clients and team members safe and healthy. The wheels of justice are still moving, but you can stay home while we fight for you. Learn More about the precautions Whitley Law Firm is taking to minimize the spread of COVID-19 and read more about Frequently Asked Questions regarding how the outbreak could affect your case.

In the moments following an accident, there are two steps that a person should take following a car accident. The first thing to do is to obtain medical assistance in order to gain a full understanding of their injuries. Once they have had a medical professional review their injuries, they should then reach out to an attorney for help with filing a claim. One of the more common facts about car accident cases in Charlotte is that claims handled by a legal professional are likelier to result in a positive result for the plaintiff.

If you have been injured, get in touch with an attorney today. A lawyer could help you understand the damages owed to you and help you hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence.

Important Things to Know about Car Accident Cases

What everyone should know about car accident cases in Charlotte is that they can happen to anybody and are very common. Sometimes when people are injured, they will not think to hire a lawyer because they think that they were contributorily negligent or they think that the insurance company will treat them fairly. The insurance company will not treat them fairly. They will try to underplay the claim or they will try to deny the claim in order to minimize the total amount of compensation owed to the victim.

Victims should also make sure to get medical treatment. Failing to obtain medical treatment or following up with a doctor regarding their treatment could give the defense the opportunity to claim that the victim sustained little to no injury considering the fact that they have not made medical treatment a priority.

Common Causes of Car Accidents

Some of the common causes of car accidents are largely due to lack of visibility. Drivers travelling at night could find themselves driving in the wrong direction if they are not familiar with the area. They could also fail to anticipate potential road hazards, causing them to lose control of their vehicle as a result. Horrid weather conditions could also impair a driver’s ability to see what is in front of them. Heavy rain, snow, and fog could limit how far a driver could see in front of them, making them susceptible to hit another vehicle or road hazard.

If there is more traffic and there are pedestrians and other vehicles around, drivers to be hyper aware of their surrounding and drive much more slowly carefully than usual. If they are not in complete control of their vehicle and are not paying attention to what is around them, they could potentially collide with a pedestrian while driving through an intersection or a road in the downtown area.

Another frequent cause is drunk driving. Unfortunately, there are a lot of crashes, deaths, and serious injuries that are caused by drunk drivers in the local and in the rest of North Carolina. That impacts a case because it is evidence of gross negligence. This means is that it is an aggravating circumstance in a negligence case. They can receive more damages because of the gross negligence.

Role of Contributory Negligence

The local area is a contributory negligence jurisdiction. This means that if someone is contributorily negligent in their own injury and the crash or the accident that happens, that they, under the law, are not able to recover any damages for their injury. Even if the victim is only 1 percent at fault in causing their own injury and the other person is 99 percent at fault in causing their injury, they are not able to recover anything under contributory negligence.

Benefits of Contacting an Attorney Early On

One of the main benefits of hiring a lawyer early on in a case is that an attorney could help with investigating the scene of the accident, calculate damages, and help organize a person’s claim in a manner that is both efficient and effective. An attorney could also safeguard any evidence that may have been retrieved from the accident.

The best way to contact an attorney is to just pick up the phone and call. An attorney familiar with the common facts about car accidents in Charlotte and guide them through the process, and they can speak to a lawyer right off the bat. Call today to get started.