Durham Birth Injury Lawyer
The birth of a child should be one of the most exciting times of any parent’s life. At this time, new parents should only be concerning themselves with the normal care of a newborn once they get home. However, things do not always go as planned and in some cases, the newborn can sustain birth injuries.
The trip through the birth canal is an arduous one for any newborn, and it is not without its own risk. Sometimes this results in birth injuries that are not the fault of anyone specifically. However, there are times when the doctors and/or nurses in the delivery room make errors, and birth injuries are a direct result of those errors.
When this happens, it could be a possible case of medical malpractice, and individuals will need a qualified Durham birth injury lawyer to help them seek compensation.
Common Delivery Room Mistakes
Sadly, there are a few things that can go wrong in the delivery room and when they do, birth injuries can result. The most common delivery room mistakes are:
- Improper monitoring. When oxygen levels, vital signs, and the fetal heart rate are not properly monitored, it can cause the health and safety of the baby to quickly decline.
- Improper use of tools. Additional tools such as forceps and vacuum extractors are sometimes needed to help in the delivery process. Forceps help maneuver the baby’s head through the birth canal, while a vacuum extractor can help pull the baby out. While these tools are most often used to get the baby out of a dangerous situation, they can sometimes pose a danger to the baby’s scalp, face, and brain when not used properly.
- Delayed C-section. If a Caesarean section is required, it needs to be done as soon as possible. If it is determined too late that a C-section is needed, or the surgery is delayed for any reason, it can put the baby in severe distress.
- Improper medication administered/improper dosage. There are many different types of medications that might be administered during the birthing process. The one most commonly known to cause problems is Pitocin, or oxytocin, which is used to induce labor. When these are not properly prescribed, or the wrong medication is given to the mother, it can have adverse effects on both the mother and baby.
- Unidentified or untreated infections. Infections can crop up sometimes during pregnancy and they either need to be treated within those nine months or at the time of delivery. If they are not, infections such as STDs may be passed onto the infant.
Common Birth Injuries
When mistakes are made in the delivery room, birth injuries are often a tragic result. The most common birth injuries are:
- Brain damage
- Birth asphyxia
- Facial paralysis
- Uterine ruptures
- Retinal hemorrhages
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
These are just some of the most common birth injuries likely to result from delivery room mistakes and sadly, there are many more. When birth injuries do occur, and new parents believe they are a result of delivery room errors, it is very important that they speak with a birth injury attorney in Durham.
Contact an Attorney Today
Seeking compensation in birth injury cases can be a complex and lengthy process. Not only does it require legal knowledge, it also requires an understanding of medicine and delivery room procedures. It is for this reason that when injuries are present after birth, families seek the help of a Durham birth injury lawyer, such as the qualified attorneys at our firm.
We have the experience needed when taking medical malpractice suits to court, and we want to help you get the compensation you deserve. The birth of a baby should be a time of celebration and excitement, do not let delivery room errors take that away from you.