If you slip and fall in a store, it is essential to protect your financial and physical well-being. To do this, you should:
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries right away. Your health is the number one priority here. In some cases, catastrophic injuries like internal bleeding, organ damage, or traumatic brain injuries don’t show signs until hours or days later, when tremendous damage has already been done.
- Document what happened by taking photographs at the scene.
- File an incident report with the store.
- Get support from those closest to you.
- Learn about your legal options before moving forward with your claim.
- Carefully assess your physical, emotional, and financial damages before accepting a settlement offer.
In this blog, we discuss the steps above in detail. However, if you have questions or want to know more about what to do if you slip and fall in a store, Whitley Law Firm is here to help you understand your legal options. We offer free consultations.
The Journey to Recovery: What to Do if You Slip and Fall in a Store
As we mentioned earlier, there are several important steps involved in protecting your health (and finances) if you’re injured in a store accident. Let’s take a closer look at them:
Take Immediate Action to Protect Your Health
Slip and fall injuries can be severe or even catastrophic. So, if you’re injured in an accident while visiting a store, you should tend to your health immediately by seeking medical attention. Depending on the severity of your condition, you may need to head to urgent care or the emergency room.
By getting a prompt diagnosis, you can get prompt treatment. You may have concerns about seeking medical attention because of financial concerns about co-pays and other costs. Yet, through a slip and fall injury claim, you can recoup the full cost of your medical expenses, including those you haven’t incurred yet.
Document What Happened
You want as much information to support your slip and fall claim as possible. This way, the insurance company has less room to dispute your case’s details. If possible, you should:
- Take photos or videos: Taking pictures of the accident scene (or asking a friend or family member to do so if you cannot) can bolster your claim. Be sure to capture the condition of the premises, such as wet floors, debris, clutter, or uneven surfaces that may have caused the accident.
- Gather witness contact details: Speak with any witnesses who may have seen the accident happen and take their names and contact details. Witness statements are important in proving a claim – especially if the store or its insurance company disputes fault. This is important because in North Carolina, if you are found to be at fault in an accident, you cannot recover compensation.
- Keep detailed records: Make an accurate list of all your medical treatments, including visits to the doctor, prescribed medications, and any other relevant expenses. Keep a note of time missed from work, along with how your injuries have affected your life. Everything related to your injuries is compensable, and you can help your lawyer put a value on them.
It’s understandable if you can’t accomplish these tasks; you were severely injured, after all. A lawyer from Whitley Law Firm can shoulder all of these tasks, so you can focus on healing.
Seek Support From Your Loved Ones
When your life is suddenly interrupted by the unexpected, it’s vital to have the support you need to move forward. This can involve help from family and friends and medical care, counseling, and rehabilitation specialists. It can also include assistance from legal advocates who will coordinate your recovery, provide emotional support, and ensure you receive appropriate medical care while managing every aspect of your compensation claim.
With everyone pulling together, you can focus fully on your recovery without worrying about paying bills, coping with your medical needs, and managing a complex legal compensation claim alone.
Explore Your Legal Options Before Tackling the Claims Process
Understanding your legal rights after a slip and fall accident is essential. Yet, as you wade through the legalese, you may feel concerned about your ability to file a successful case.
Working with a personal injury lawyer can make a difficult situation less stressful for you and your family. For example, we support you by identifying who is liable for your injuries, gathering the evidence required to prove negligence, and negotiating with insurance companies for appropriate compensation. We aim to seek compensation for:
- Medical bills, hospital stays, treatment, and rehabilitation costs (These can be exceptionally high when you have suffered a catastrophic injury.)
- Lost income, tips, bonuses, and benefits if your injuries affect your earning capacity
- Non-economic damages for ongoing physical pain or emotional distress
- All other financial losses related to the accident, such as damaged property
Additionally, you deserve an advocate who will tend to your well-being during the claims process – an often overlooked but vital factor. We do everything in our power to ensure your comfort.
Peace of Mind: Our Injury Lawyers Take Care of Everything – Especially You
You deserve a strong legal advocate in the aftermath of a slip and fall. You also deserve to be treated with kindness and compassion during the legal process.
This is a key part of our approach at Whitley Law Firm. Providing exceptional client care and legal advocacy is the foundation of our good standing and success within the communities we serve in North Carolina. We also provide the following benefits to our clients:
- Over five decades of experience with a law firm focusing solely on personal injury
- A free initial consultation
- A verifiable, long-standing history of successful case results
- No-win, no-fee legal representation
- Accessible communication with our lawyers
- Frequent case updates
- A shoulder to lean on during difficult times
To learn more about how we can manage your slip and fall injury case, contact us at (919) 785-5000.