Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Raleigh
In the minutes and hours immediately following a car accident, it is easy to get flustered and not to take the appropriate steps needed. For that reason, we have provided a guide on what to do after being involved in a car accident in Raleigh.
During the process of pursuing full and fair compensation, our firm can be right by your side at each stage. You do not have to go through this process on your own. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
How to Prepare for an Auto Accident
As a precaution for a car accident, it is helpful to prepare an “emergency kit” that you store in the trunk of your car. This should contain:
- Medical information of family members
- Emergency contact name / phone number
- Safety devices: emergency flares, safety cones, etc.
Having these items can make the process less stressful, smoother, and more effective.
First Steps to Take After a Car Accident
When an accident occurs, your greatest concern should be on the health and safety of the involved parties.
To help the police officers and insurance companies investigate the accident, take the following steps:
- Remain calm – Losing your temper will not help you prove your claim, but it can potentially harm it.
- Check for injuries – If anyone is seriously injured, call an ambulance.
- Call the police and remain at the scene of the accident.
- Move your vehicle away from traffic if this is safe – Turn on your hazards and use safety devices.
- Exchange information – Get the names, addresses, license plate information, drivers’ license number, basic insurance information and phone numbers of all involved parties
- Talk to witnesses – Get the names and phone numbers of willing witnesses.
- Contact our firm before discussing the case with an insurance company.
Additional Steps Following a Car Accident
If the accident is a fender-bender, and you have not sustained any injuries, you will want to take photographs of the damage and take down the other party’s information. Be sure to include their name, phone number, insurance information, driver’s license number and license plate number.
Additionally, you will want to write down the make, model and year of their vehicle, in addition to any other important information regarding the accident. Even if something doesn’t seem significant, you will need to remember it for future reference. Taking down notes regarding speeds, how the other person was driving and things they may have said may all come in handy in the future.
You will also need to take statements from any witnesses to the accident. Talk to them, take down their name and phone number so that you can contact them if you need to in the future. Having all of this information will prove to be extreme useful in the future when working with your Raleigh personal injury lawyer.
Contact a Raleigh Car Accident Lawyer Today
With an attorney from Whitley Law Firm by your side, you can confidently pursue the full and fair compensation you need. Call us today to discuss your accident case during a free evaluation.